By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Have a look at how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of reports: The Shaping energy of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable choice of own narratives that explores the historic, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. a few of the renowned authors during this assortment comprise David Bergman, Louis workforce, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian stories, political hobbies, cultural experiences, and narratology, and someone attracted to homosexual background probably want to discover those fascinating narratives on subject matters corresponding to intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature sooner than Stonewall, growing to be up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of know-how in a small town.A Sea of news additionally comprises artistic fiction and nonfiction love tales, conflict tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a stunning post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 specialist males and the potential of a kiss. for a whole checklist of contents, please stopover at our site at www.haworthpressinc.com.This publication provide you with quite a few narratives that disguise a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual booklet membership in its wake
- homophobia within the place of work and using coming-out tales to augment place of work range
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled via Mormons
- gay literary historical past that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White on the subject of the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a few woman's love for one more lady, her lifelong buddy
- Provincetown's awesome group reaction to the AIDS epidemicA selection of chapters written by way of the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of news takes its name from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote deal with to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny university in 1997. This convention sparked the assumption for this choice of essays that study the gay event via historic, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will support readers to grasp themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian reviews in numerous narrative types.
Read or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
Catalina de Erauso (1592-1650) was once a Basque noblewoman who, ahead of taking ultimate vows to develop into a nun, escaped from the convent at San Sebastian, dressed as a guy, and, in her personal phrases, 'went hither and thither, embarked, went into port, took to roving, slew, wounded, embezzled, and roamed about'.
This booklet questions the postmodern credo that the autonomy of cause and motion is a fable, concealing our entrapment in old conference and overlaying a logocentric domination.
An exam of the political and social features specific to Scandinavia that have made women's upward push to energy extra speedy than in different areas of the realm, this examine additionally explores how the ensuing election of ladies has supplied precious facts of the impression of ladies leaders and their management type.
The study for this ebook used to be caused by means of a mix of occasions, particularly the election of Mary Robinson to the Presidency and the X Case which rocked Irish society. The ebook is an exploration of the dynamics among the courts, the legislators and the Irish electorate relating to convinced socio-sexual questions: divorce, birth control, abortion, and homosexuality.
- Lost Gay Novels - A Reference Guide to Fifty Works from the First Half of the Twentieth Century
- Imperialism within the Margins: Queer Representation and the Politics of Culture in Southern Africa
- Playboys in Paradise: Masculinity, Youth and Leisure-Style in Modern America
- Love's Rite: Same-Sex Marriage in India and the West
- The Queer Greek Weird Wave: Ethics, Politics and the Crisis of Meaning
- Queering Freedom
Extra info for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
Explicitly lesbian and gay journals such as ONE, The Ladder, or The Mattachine Review, were published in small runs that were extremely difficult to get and, therefore, did not usually fall into the hands of people just coming out. More likely men coming out would find material in their local bookstores. At a used-book store, I purchased a copy of Fritz Peters' important novel Finistère, an explicitly gay novel published in hardcover in 1951 by Farrar, Straus, and Young and in paper in April 1952 as a Signet book for twenty-five cents.
Dreger, A . (1997). Hermaphrodites in love: The truth of the gonads. In V. ), Science and Homosexualities (pp. 46-66). New York: Routledge. Drescher, J. (1998). Psychoanalytic Therapy and the Gay Man. Hillsdale, NJ: The Analytic Press. Dykes, B . (1999). Problems in defining cross-cultural "kinds of homosexuality"— and a solution. Journal of Homosexuality, 1999, in press. Hawkesworth, M . (1996). Knowers, knowing, known: Feminist theory and claims of truth. In B . Laslett, S. Kohlstedt, H . Longino, and E.
Beginning with the Weimar Republic, homosexuals often disagreed with one another regarding politics and gay emancipation. Numerous homosexual organizations were established as splinter groups when a group of individuals decided to form a new faction diverging somewhat from the parent organization's charter. Magnus Hirschfeld is a prime example of a controversial figure who caused several splits in the sexual reform movement until Kurt Hiller took over the leadership of the Institute for Sexual Research.
- Download e-book for iPad: The Cambridge Companion to Twentieth-Century English Poetry by Neil Corcoran
- Download e-book for kindle: The analysis of linear integral equations by Cochran J.A.